As designer Scott Shrader says, “Why go on vacation once a year when you can make your yard feel like you’re on vacation all year round?” Gardeners are finding more ways to enjoy a staycation in the comfort of their own backyard rather than waiting in airport lines and living out of a suitcase.
Here’s some inspiration:
- Keep it low maintenance.
- Set up a weatherproof speaker system to enjoy music while you’re outside.
- Site destination spaces—for example, a fire feature or a comfy lounge chair—in a spot that will draw people outside but not so far that you forget about it.
- Invest in outdoor furniture that you actually want to sit in.
- Include lighting to make your outdoor spaces easy to access when it gets dark out.
- Install an outdoor kitchen if you love to cook.